What is a Sustainable Energy Community?
A Sustainable Energy Community (SEC) is a community in which everyone works together to develop a sustainable energy system.
What is the Sustainable Energy Community Network?
The Sustainable Energy Community Network, supported by Sustainable Authority of Ireland (SEAI), is made up of 130 communities around Ireland who are interested in community energy. The aim of the network is to encourage and support a national movement of SECs. Together they want to:
- Be as energy efficient as possible
- Use renewable energy where workable
- Use smart energy technology
Types of Sustainable Energy Communities:
- Community Halls
- Resource Centres
- Sports Clubs
- Private Nursing Homes
The Benefits of being part of the Sustainable Energy Community Network:
- Lower energy bills
- More comfortable local buildings
- Improve public well-being
- Boost local employment
- Build energy knowledge and skills
- Contribute to national emissions targets
Why join the Sustainable Energy Community Network?
Support for members comes from both the network and SEAI.
- Get in touch with other communities who have common interests
- Learn from communities who have conducted local energy projects
- Learn about energy technologies and the types of solutions available
- Start thinking about energy use in your own community in an informed way
- Learn from energy experts
- Receive learning supports
After applying to the network, SEAI will;
- Assign you a regional mentor
- Invite you to regional and national events
- Provide an information pack
- Keep you updated with newsletters
Funding available for Sustainable Energy Communities
- Community facilities such as community halls, resource centres, schools and sports clubs can avail of up to 50% funding.
- SME’s, large commercial buildings, private nursing homes and hotels can avail of up to 30% funding.
What type of work can you avail of?
- Insulation Upgrades
- Lighting Upgrades
- Renewable Energy Installations
- Heating Upgrades including wood boilers or heat pumps
- Window/Door Upgrades
- Motor/Compressor Replacements (process)
- Ventilation and Refrigeration
If you are interested in joining the Sustainable Energy Community Network, please complete the Expression of Interest Form and we will be in touch.